How to Figure a Tip

How To Figure a Gratuity

Knowing how to figure a tip keeps you from being the customer who stiffs a waiter without even knowing it. Tipping the right way also keeps you from overtipping in an attempt to overcompensate, to avoid being the jerk.

Tips are how a waiter makes their living, because restaurants in America pay their table waiting staff scandalously low wages. Paying a tip is just a part of eating out on the town, so don’t go for a free ride on the backs of the people waiting on you at mealtime.

Before trying to figure the tip after you’ve dined out, do a little research and see how much a standard gratuity is. In most regions, 15% of the bill is a tip for good service. 20% of the bill is given for excellent service, though there are certain places and certain areas where 20% is the standard tipping rate.

In our discussion, I’ll give instructions for figuring tips at 15% and 20%. It’s really easy, once you learn how to move a decimal point.

1. Calculate 10% of Your Dining Bill

Figure out what 10% of your restaurant bill is. To do that, all you have to do is carry the decimal point one place to the left in your bill. If you’re bill is $45.00, then 10% of the bill can be figured by moving the decimal point one place to your left: $4.50. If your bill is $120.00, then 10% of this would be $12.00.

2. Calculate 15% of Your Restaurant Bill

Once you have 10%, then 15% is easy. All you have to do is figure half of that 10%. If 10% is $4.50, then 1/2 would be $2.75.

Now that you have 10% and 5% both figured, all you have to do is add them together to get 15% of the dine-in bill. 4.50 plus 2.75 equals 7.25, so 15% of a $45 bill would be $7.25. Put down $52 or $53 and you just paid a solid gratuity to the waiter staff.

For the aforementioned $120 bill, 15% would be $12 plus $6, so your bill and gratuity would be $138 all told.

3. Calculate 20% of Your Dinner Bill

If you want to learn what twenty percent is, simply figure out what 10% and then double it. Multiple the number by 2. So on a $45.00 bill, 20% would be $4.50 and $4.50, and therefore $9. Plop down $54.00 and you’ve offered a really nice tip.

20% of a $120.00 payment is $24, so the bill for your supper meal and the tip would be $144.00 in all.

Leaving a Good Tip

Once again, leaving a good tip for a job well done isn’t just a matter of looking like a big shot. Waiters and waitresses in the United States get paid pitifully low, so they depend on customers to pay the staff a decent gratuity for their work.

In many other western nations, the tip is added in by the restaurant, so you pay a gratuity when you pay the dinner bill. So leave a good tip, or you’ll be a bad customer.

Read our related posts, which may not seem to be related at first glance, but also have to do with fine living and handling your finances.

Speak Your Mind

*